Sunday, May 13, 2012

Just do it.



In anything we do, the motivation to do it and the desire to complete it are IMPORTANT for making it successful. We all know this. Right ??

If we are working on an innovative product or for a non-profit organizations or started teaching for the needy then you might have the kick on the butt always to make us feel that our work is WORTH spending your life on. And this motivates us to even go that extra mile.

Very few of us are involved in such activities, most of us are spending our lives in 9-5 jobs doing coding , trying to sell not-so-different products to the customers, preparing the sales reports to our managers, etc. These jobs may not give us a wow-I-am-making-a-difference kind of feeling. But if we don’t have that, how can continue to be consistent in giving our best ??

What will motivate us to go to our jobs daily(I don’t believe money is a true motivator) ?? How can we feel the work we do is important ?? How can you tune yourself ? How can we come out of this I-am-doing-stupid-stuff feeling.  

If you are expecting an answer these now then I am sorry. Even I am a victim of I-am-doing-stupid-stuff feeling.

Months back I decided to be consistent on my blog. From that time I regularly used to open word pad, write something, but they all ended up into my drafts as I felt they may not impress the readers. So my idea to be consistent on my blog ended into being consistently dumping things in my drafts folder.

Forget about what the reader will think after reading what I wrote. If I did not find my work worthy how can I even click the publish button ?? After all it is just a blog post. Even if I don’t get any good reviews it is not going to effect me in anyway. Right ?? But still I attached a more-than-needed attention on what the feedback can be.

If you are writing book and you find that your work is not worth writing..how can you even finish it?

If you have started a company and if you don’t believe in your product, how can you even think of making it successful.

In my company, we had a meeting few days back with our manager. He is a star in my company - as the youngest manager. So with the hype around him we are naturally interested to know more about him.

When we asked what motivated him to keep that extra effort in his work at the beginning of the journey. His reply was, “The fact we have to understand is that, there is no work that is perfect. Only some part of our work might be interesting and it is that on which we have to focus. The work which I did initially, years back, may not be an inspiring one but I did it with the same enthusiasm and alertness as how a CEO decides each of his decisions. I tuned myself to feel that what I did was IMPORTANT. That made my work interesting to me, because of which I excelled in it and that lead me now to this position. So finding your work interesting and motivating is the most important part of your career. If you do not find it interesting, you cannot excel at it. Use your own ways and make it interesting.”

This reminded me of what Robin Sharma always says about - “To Lead Without A Title.”

Do the work you wanted to do, from the place you are, with whatever available to you. 

Most of us do work hard just to get a better increment in the next appraisal or for a promotion. But not because we like what we are doing.

On one side I am trying hard to write on my blog at least once in a month but my friend Karthik Puvvada started a new blog and he is consistent on it ! 

Click on bethepurplecow to view his site and get inspired.

Influenced by Seth Godin’s works, he is contributing his 2 cents to inspire people to work better, be happier and achieve maximum in the short life span we have.

There is a clear Godin’s effect on his thoughts but he is presenting them in his own style.

When we say to write a new story or to give something new to the customer, it is not always about a whole new content, it is mostly about using the already existing resources in a new way. 

Do you have the skill to offer an old service in a new way ?? Do you have it in you to present an old story in an entirely new way giving a different impact to the reader ?? Can you offer an already existing product to an entirely new market ?? 

If yes. Start now. It is all about using the old resources in a new way.

When I asked Karthik on what is pushing him to write continuously, he said, “I believe that my thoughts will inspire the readers. Though I, sometimes, share things which many might be knowing already, I do it in my style with the motivation that I am the only person sharing it that at that particular point of time and that it will reach at least one who is not aware of it before reading my post..”

What a simple but great motivation !!

Sometimes it is not about how much difference you made but whether you made any.

Don’t wait to do the things which you want to do. There is not perfect time. There is nothing to loose. You are going to die in few years anyway. Don't attach a lot of value to others opinions.

If you want to share something share it. If you can add value to something, however small it might be, add it. Forget about what people will say. Do it for your satisfaction. 

Believe that your work will make a difference to someone, somewhere at sometime in some way. Nothing is a better motivator than this.

Good luck. 

Thank you for reading. 

3 comments:

Karthik Puvvada said...

I once remarked,
"Some people read the story, and leave the lesson. Some people live the lesson, and leave the story."

You surely have been the second kind. Kudos on your attempt. Our story of life will anyway shape up by itself. The call is whether we want to shape it up ourselves or not.

I'm humbled by your mention and thrilled by your energy. Keep going.

Viswanath said...

I'm in dire need of some motivation and your post did offered me the penny! From now on, I shall keep saying this myself repeatedly, 'Don't moan for the perfect time which never exists, but rejigger your perception.'

The title of the post is very apt and cliched too, but is completely justified by the end.

Way to go!

Srikar said...

@KP: I completely agree with your words Karthik. It is our choice.

Keep rocking. Keep inspiring :)

@Viswanath: Nice to see your comment and happy to know that my post helped you in some way.

I am sure you will be successful in your plans. Keep pushing the boundaries. Good luck :)