Friday, December 16, 2011

Behind that song...


When I was in 8th class, our teacher asked whether anyone of us can sing. Boys did not respond but many girls pointed out one girl. Teacher asked that girl to sing. She hesitated initially. But when teacher forced her, she agreed on the condition that one of her friends should also sing along with her. Teacher agreed.

The girl pulled her friend along with her– and they both stood in front of the class. I did not know her name then.

The two girls whispered something to each other. I thought they were discussing on which song to sing. In a minute they began singing…

   Every night in my dreams I see you I feel you…(Titanic)

I did not know from which movie that song was. But I liked it. Maybe it was because of the girl who was singing it.

There was something in her that attracted me. She was ‘beautiful’…I did not know any other word to describe her at that time. It was like a first-time-happening kind of feeling

Her friend stopped singing in between and ran to her place. The other girl stood there with a what-should-I-do-now kind of look. I thought even she will follow her friend. But she didn’t.

The teacher comforted her – “Don’t worry. It is ok. You can sing alone.”

The girl starred angrily at her friend who left her­ and then continued the song. Throughout the song she kept her head down – may be stage fear or shy...don’t know.

I was just looking at her. Just her. I couldn’t see anything but her. The way she adjusted her hair…the way she smiled…her innocent looks…spelled a magic, ringing bell in the heart of every boy in the class. Though she was dressed in the same uniform like the rest of the girls, she was different. I did not know why.

Immediately after finishing the song she ran to her place and everyone clapped. Some of us were still in her magic and even forgot to clap. Our teacher appreciated her.

When I came out of the school that evening, she was waiting outside on the other side of the road. I thought she was waiting for her friend or for someone to pick her up.

I wanted to talk to her. Something was holding me. But still I headed towards her. I was just few steps from away her. At least I wanted to ask her name and say that she was a good singer.

I went near and stood next to her. She was looking somewhere else.

When I was about to say “Hi”, one of her friends waved at her and she immediately went towards her friend without even noticing me.

I did not know what to do. Looked around. Saw some of my friends on the other side of the road. So I crossed the road and joined my friends with a smile hiding any sign of disappointment.

My eyes were searching for her though I was talking to my friends. The girl got into an auto with her friends and went away.

The next day when our teacher was noting the attendance I came to know the girl’s name.

Since then whenever I hear the Titanic song this incident flashes in my mind.

Behind every person’s favourite song there is an untold story.
   

4 comments:

kaiser's chronicles said...

Your writing style has improved ! good !

Hema said...

:) Good one...

Srikar said...

@Kasa: mee aasirwadhalu :)

@hema: Thank u. Yes, until now :)

Gaya3 said...

Nice srikar!! agree with hema :)
nostalgic :)